Jason has lived in Taichung, Taiwan for the past 4 years, after previously doing a stint in China. Listen to this episode to find out:
– What brought Jason to China in the first place.
– How he practiced learning Chinese before moving to China.
– The benefits of learning Chinese from a native English speaker, and what to look for
– How he compares interacting in Chinese in China versus Taiwan
– How he compared living in Nanjing versus Shanghai
– What prompted him to move from China to Taiwan
– His thoughts on traditional classroom learning versus modern methods
– His thoughts on learning to type versus learning to read.
– His approach to learning to read while learning to speak
– How he received a scholarship to learn Chinese in Taiwan (and what key approach he used)
– The differences between Chinese and Taiwanese people
– His communication approach with his Taiwanese wife
Resources and links mentioned: Anki flashcard program, Taiwan Ministry of Education Scholarship information