In this episode I interview Scott Faul, an American now living in Taiwan.
Listen to find out:
– What got him interested in learning Chinese, while in the US
– His experience studying Chinese in Taiwan, while working on the side
– How he used the Chinese he had learned, while working in the US
– The benefits he found for being able to speak Chinese, while looking for work
– His experience living in Beijing for 10 years
– The difference he found in culture between China and Taiwan
– The difference in accents and slang he experienced between Taipei and Beijing
– What he would have done differently regarding learning Chinese
– Why he switched from business to doing a masters in translation
– What his career plans in translation are currently
– The difference in business culture in China / Taiwan versus in America
– How negotiations are handled differently in China / Taiwan versus out west
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 29:05 — 13.4MB) | Embed
In this episode, I interview Wesley. He’s an American, with degrees in Chinese and translation.
Listen to this episode to find out:
- How Wesley got interested in Chinese in the first place.
- How he found Chinese easier to learn as a second language than Spanish.
- What his teacher did to significantly increase his interest in learning Chinese.
- Why it’s important to learn the whole culture rather than just the language.
- What aspect of Chinese drove his main interest in the language.
- His biggest struggle learning Chinese in LA.
- What his best decision was, regarding learning Chinese.
- What he learned on the street that they don’t teach in textbooks.
- What he learned from taking a degree in translation.
- Why he learned more from his grad school classmates than from local friends.
- What happens to foreigners as they live in Taiwan / China for an extended period.
- The difference in culture working for a Taiwanese run company.
- Why you also need to maintain your English, while living in a foreign country.
- The benefits and limitations of having a local partner, with regards to improving your Chinese.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 27:19 — 12.7MB) | Embed